Thursday, November 15, 2007

New York Adventures Part 2 of 3

Well I waited about a week to post part 2, but here it is.

This is the continuing adventures of ROAST in New York City. If you haven’t already read part 1 I would suggest doing so.

After arriving and checking into my hotel in Times Square I decided it was time to go find where they sell the discounted tickets to Broadway shows. I had looked up what was playing before getting to New York on a Sunday night (I was sort of on vacation so I can break the Sabbath right? Yeah probably not…but I did anyway!) and had an hour or so before any show would start so needed to find this TKTS (or whatever it is called) booth where they sold these tickets. So I walked FOREVER down Broadway (Or Times Square Avenue I can’t remember which…I think they are parallel so I probably jumped back and forth looking for it).

Here are some pictures I took while looking:

That picture of me I actually took myself, but I am not even looking in the camera which is kind of funny. Anyway, after walking far too south I called my fake-sister Natalie and asked her to Google it for me. She did so and told me where I needed to be/go. So I went (man how did I walk right past the building it was next to and not see it?) and looked at the discounts.

Well they were all about 50% off, but that’s all the information I could really get. I was undecided between “Spamalot” and “Mary Poppins”. I asked the guy that was there answering questions which one I should go see and he said that “Mary Poppins” probably didn’t have as great of a chance of touring as “Spamalot” did (which is actually already touring). So I decided to go see that. I also asked about how much tickets were (before asking about the specific shows) and he said about $60-80 for the Broadway ones, and $30-60 for those that were off-Broadway. That was fine I thought. I had a credit card right? WRONG! Just kidding I did. I was wrong in my thought however that you could purchase discount tickets at this booth using a credit card. CASH ONLY! Luckily I still had around $60 or so (probably less) of cash after paying for my cab.

Anyway, I asked for a ticket and was told it was $60.39 (or something like that) and gave the person $61. Well they gave me back $20 immediately…so….either they didn’t know how to count or I didn’t hear them right. Seeing as I had already had a hard time figuring out the New York economy I decided it was the latter. Either way I was down another $40 or so in cash. The ticket also said $80 on it, so I think that’s where the 50% off came into play. So I think I had about $20 or so left. Well the play started at 6:30 p.m. and it was just about 6 p.m. so I decided I’d head over to the New Amsterdam theatre where it was playing. Enjoy these fine pictures:


Before enjoying Mary Poppins (oh by the way I forgot to mention I thought I was suppose to meet another Accounting student to see something, but she was going to watch the CES devotional (yes…I skipped the devotional making me even more of a sinner) so I went by myself) I decided to eat something as I hadn’t eaten all day (yes….I did remember it was Fast Sunday!....one point for me, 2 against me so far). So I had my first experience with New York City street food. You can actually see the booth I went to to get the food in one of the picture above (blue and white umbrella). I got a chicken shish kabob (which they put in a bun which I thought was odd) and I downed it in less then 2 minutes (hey the musical was going to start soon!). It only cost me $4 cash. I only got this food as I figured I would eat again real soon (as I was suppose to meet the accounting student for dinner at some place fancy later (wasn’t ever decided where)…which I will just say now instead of later that I was flamed as she never answered her phone).

Anyway, “Mary Poppins” was fantastic. I highly recommend it. My seat was in the Mezzanine about 7 rows back. I am a big musical fan and have seen at least 6 already this year (3 in one week!). There was only one song that I didn’t like too much in “Mary Poppins”, but it was still o.k.

After the musical I couldn’t get a hold of the other accounting student as already mentioned. Went to the hotel for a little bit (talked to Heather for like the 2nd and 3rd time for the night) and decided to go find something to eat. So after calling my parents (while I looked at souvenirs (I didn’t find anything I was 100% satisfied with)) I went to this pizza place (famous?) and got better pictures of the David Letterman show theatre (I also threw in a picture of what I ate at the pizza place):




Well the pizza was pretty good (although I was confused when I bought it as the slice of pizza next to it looked uncooked (which it was uncooked…they threw it in the oven while there)) and decided I’d go explore more of the city.

Here are the pictures of me going to Central Park and Columbus square. Rather they are pictures of Central Park and Columbus square:



I went part way into the park but decided it was late and didn’t want to get mugged/stabbed/shot/beaten up/killed in general so left quickly.

Well it was about 11 p.m. or so decided I would go to my hotel room and go to sleep. Before I did I took some pictures of Time Square from my room. Oh I also took this picture of a UFO:

On my way back to the hotel (I think it was then at least I can’t remember anymore that or after getting pizza) I snuck into an ATM room at Chase Manhattan Bank. I decided I seriously needed some cash especially if I wanted to get back to the airport. Well I swiped my card, put in for $60, said “Yes” to a $1.50 transaction fee, and got a receipt. Yep…just a receipt. It basically said “Your card is expired…you idiot you shouldn’t have spent so much cash (by the way I WAS able to use Credit Card on the pizza…I think it was around $7).” I looked and sure enough my debit card was expired. I started to panic, called home (didn’t get any sympathy or cash) and decided I would just borrow cash from another recruit the next day or try to get lucky and get a cab that took credit card.

Well I am about posted out for now so I will have to post yet another part (part 3 of 3) soon. You’ll be able to hear the exciting conclusion of what happened with my money troubles and maybe see some more pictures (not that there isn't enough here!)...You may now comment.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. 1st comment. That's a lot of pressure. It never ceases to amaze me how you can take the most ordinary things and turn them into something hilarious. I'm anxious to hear about the cash dilema...write sooner next time. :)

heath said...

I love that you gave dialogue to the ATM machine ("you idiot shouldn't have spent so much cash"--Ha!). I'm glad you took a lot of pictures. It's fun to see what you saw. I especially like the one where you're not really looking at the camera! Can't wait for part 3.

Alisha said...

Mary Poppins... lucky guy! I'm so jealous.

bri said...

I don't know if your girlfriend would disagree.. but I think I would like to hear how the two of you met?

bri said...

Royce, you have been tagged! go to our blog to see what to do next!

Heather said...

Are you ever going to post part 3 of ??? I am trying to wait patiently to hear about the cash dilemma.