Thursday, November 8, 2007

New York Adventures Part 1 of 3

As some of you might now (you should probably know by now, I’ve mentioned it at least a billion times in the blog by now) I’ve been doing office visits for an internship this coming winter semester. Recently I was able to go to New York City, New York for the first time on one of these office visits. This is Part 1 of a 3 part series about my adventures in New York. It is a photo journal if you will.

So my adventures began by landing in La Guardia airport after a long flight at about 4 in the afternoon on a Sunday. The first order of business was to get a cab to the hotel I was staying. Here is part of the line I had to wait in to get that cab.

Anyway, this was my first experience ever getting a cab on my own. I am glad you can share in it with me. Luckily I never actually had to hail a cab while in New York, there was always someone else to do it for me. In this case they had a long line at the airport and the guy just directed the cabbies where to park.

None of these pictures came out to well, but the first of the map of New York that was in the cab, the rest various pictures of New York City, and the last is a picture of the David Letterman studio (although in this picture you can’t see it too well). While driving through New York I saw a whole bunch of people and a bunch of people wearing silver capes (I had only seen one person wearing one at first and I thought he was odd, but then a whole bunch as I sat in the cab) . These silver things peoples were wearing looked like Capri Sun containers stapled together and wrapped around these people. It was weird, but I thought “Hey maybe that’s the fashion.”

Anyway, I arrived at my hotel which was the Crown Plaza Royal in Times Square. I think these places are normally somewhere around $500 a night. I got to stay for free luckily as I was going to be interviewing with Ernst and Young the next day.

As I was getting out of the cab I needed to pay the cabbie. Well I tried talking to my cabbie on the way to the hotel, but he was very hard to understand. So when I was getting out he was even harder to understand. So I get the receipt and it’s for $25.70, and the cab I think is telling me that it is this much, but I couldn’t understand him, so I just give him $29 and figure that’s good for tip and what not. Well he says something that I make out to be $4 for a toll (because we went through a toll bridge). So he says something like “1 more dollar.” So I give him a dollar or two. I then ask “Does that include tip?” because I had no idea what the guy was saying or how much I had already paid him, he says something like “No, that’s o.k.” but I go ahead and give the guy an extra $2 more dollars (probably not the best tip, but I had no idea how much I had already paid him…even though I think I just told you). Well I get out and an older couple are getting in, and boy did I feel stupid that I had no idea how much cash I had given that cabbie, and felt bad for the couple for having to wait for so long.

I went into the hotel and you had to ride an escalator up to the lobby. Well I rode it up and I didn’t see any check in, and the escalator kept going so I kept going too. I then see a bunch of people going into conference rooms, and drinking champagne, and a sign that says something like “New York Marathon.” I also see some more of those Capri sun cape things with “New York Marathon” on it, so that mystery was solved (well at least I think it is solved because I figured the New York Marathon was that day).

Anyway, I realize I’ve gone too far up on this escalator and decide to go back down one floor. I finally find the check-in hidden around a corner after wandering around looking for long enough. So I go ahead and check into my room…room 4309. I think I will post part 2 another day as this already is a lot to read for one day and you probably think these stories are somewhat boring.

8 comments:

heath said...

Yay for posts and pictures about your trip! I don't think it's boring, but I've never been to New York so any random experiences seem interesting to me.

Alisha said...

Geez, Royce, I think I would totally have the same kind of experience if I went to NYC alone. Everyone in NYC always looks to posh and poised hailing cabs, etc.... I'd be the one wandering around aimlessly, too!

Unknown said...

I know I'm supposed to love NYC...but I don't. It's crazy and scary and I don't know how anyone can live there! But I do think it's a fun place to visit-as long as you have a sense of adventure. Remind me to tell you about running away from our cab driver...it's not something I'm sure I want in print :)

Lindsay said...

Hi! I've never met you, but I'm one of Heather's old (and probably also one of her favorite) roommates. Sounds like the beginnings of a fun NYC adventure. And I'm with you and all your commenters: just because I live in NYC now doesn't make me any braver. This place is nuts! Fun...but so crazy.

Anonymous said...

I am officially posting a comment on your blog...no more complaining..:)

bri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bri said...

where the rest?

pandaswat.sarah said...

I think you should know how jealous I am that you got to experience New York. And in the fall, no less. I hear that's the best time to go! I request more pictures. :)