Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Favorite Parts/Quotes from the Weekend

Well I haven't posted for a while, but figured I can give some insight into the big engagement over the weekend. Sorry no pictures though.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

"I'm afraid it will $#^#@ off my $#(%*$"

-This is mostly a reminder to myself of the real quote, but I am sworn to secrecy about what it is about and who its by.


HEATHER: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME"
ME: something like "No I'm not, just say Yes"

-Heather in seeing me proposing as she had NO idea it was all set up for the engagement and had no idea I had got the ring.

AMY: "Can we forget about the caves already!"

-Ryan and I really wanted to go find some caves he remembered from his dating years, but we never did. I suppose he's gone and found them by now....hopefully.

SMITTY (Random Balloon Man): something like "It's amazing fitting 5 pounds of S#$*(#$ in a 4 pound bag"

-we had to put the balloon bag into a small bag. This guy was wearing some jacket with a bunch of multi-colored balloons on it and seemed to be the only person on the 4 person balloon crew who didn't care we got engaged. He was pretty cool.

Those are all the quotes I can think of, but it was great to surprise Heather.

Here's the story behind the story:

The week of New Year's Day Heather and I went ring shopping at a place Heather's dad set us up with that would give us a good deal (I am guessing they did). They told us the ring would be ready a week from that Tuesday and that we could come pick it up whenever. We said we would be back up later in the month (this week) to pick it up as we aren't usually in Salt Lake City. I secretly grabbed a business card while Heather was looking at the different rings so I could have the address.



On Friday January 11 I went back to AAA and got some car insurance....I mean the ring. As I was just about home I got a call from Heather (we were going out that night) saying she was coming over. I was still driving through Provo and figured she would figure out something was up so I told her I was about to lay down for a nap and to come by later. She believed me and I wasn't completely lying as I did want a nap (although I never fell asleep).

I've been pretty paranoid that Heather would find out ever since January 11 and my paranoia started that day. As I pulled into the garage I could of sworn I saw her car parked outside and figured she was just waiting in her car outside until the time I told her to come over. I tried to see if anyone was in the car and couldn't tell from inside my apartment. Then a few seconds later the car was gone, so I don't know what that was all about. I guess it wasn't Heather's car though because this car had its license plate kinda dented, Heather's doesn't.

I've been telling Heather since we picked out the ring that we'd go pick it up together this coming Friday (when we went up for Heather's mom's birthday). I've also been telling her that I'd propose on Valentine's day (although Heather did say I said something to her around Christmas time about Santa not bringing a ring, but maybe Martin Luther King Jr.) so I should have just believed that Heather wouldn't have a clue, but different. People whispering in other rooms, people asking if I was engaged, etc. all made me paranoid that Heather knew I was planning on proposing.

I brought up that first night that I picked up the ring we should go to Vegas for the 3-day weekend coming up thinking it'd be good to do the hot air balloon thing there because of better weather (my original idea entailed UT somehow, but all the places are so far away and didn't want to stay at a hotel the night before. I thought I had found one company up in Logan (and even stole Heather's brother-in-law's phone number that lives there) but could never find it again. Anyway, Vegas looked better.

So I coordinated with the Fitzgibbons and they found a good company. I tried e-mailing some Vegas companies but all of them wanted a deposit and if they couldn't go up that day (hot air ballooning I guess you have to have perfect weather) they'd give you a rain check for the next year. Well I had like one to two days I could do it. I wanted to do it on Sunday as I figured what Mormon would go on Sunday (this one would apparently...meaning me). You also would have to buy out all the spots to go up if you wanted a private flight (I basically did).

So Ryan found a good company and I coordinated with them and told them it was a surprise so he (Ron from the company) gave me a good idea of saying he was a buddy who needed help. So I let Ryan run with it (and you can see all that in Heather's blog).

A couple of nights before the trip I left Heather's house because I needed air from wedding planning when we weren't even engaged. Well that night I took the opportunity to take out the cash needed to pay the balloon company.

So we drove to Vegas. The code word from Amy was suppose to be "Fosters is hecka good", but instead she said "I want ice cream" which I had to make fun of, of course and didn't understand what she meant (while talking over the phone on the way down). So I called them back and checked while Heather was in some random bathroom from Provo to Vegas.

Anyway, we got to Vegas, went to a buffet and while there finalized plans with Ryan and Amy while Heather went to go get desseret from the dessert buffet.

And then the next day came and I proposed as said in Heather's blog.

Ron, the balloon guy, did say all the set up was for show and did slip me a card I could right on that would go with the flower they gave to Heather. I gave that card to Ryan who gave it to Amy however.

Anyway, that's how it all happened.

Other highlights:

-Random kids who came up to see the balloon come down getting suckered into helping with an easy landing.

-Smitty eating a piece of the toast cake before we had even got to eat a piece.

-Heather not having any clue any of this was happening and not thinking this was the real proposal.

-Messing up the words that we were repeating from "The Balloonist Prayer"

-skipping most of church to take a nap as I had not slept well the night previously or all week.

-Heather saying yes and getting married in just a few months.

8 comments:

heath said...

Oh, I'm so glad you told your version. There were some details I still hadn't heard. I will have to link people over from my blog. Sure love you! So glad you were so sneaky.

Unknown said...

I guess I'd better get on the ball with ours...I'm so happy you found a link to the balloonist prayer. Who would have thought it was a real thing?
I'm curious about that first quote though. I wonder who said what?.

Heather said...

Nicely done Royce!! I am so excited for the two of you. Glad that it was a total surprise for Heather. The Fitzgibbons have a way of helping when it comes to secretive things!

Dan Steinmetz said...

Go Roast! We're excited for both of you! Make sure you send us an invitation! :) Ritchell likes your dramatized proposal. :)

Thanks for also reading our blog...and commenting.

Anonymous said...

Thats way cool! good job!
ben baker

lori said...

Royce. Love your version! So glad you wrote it out. You guys are awesome. We're so excited for the upcoming wedding. Glad we could share some mattress sledding/ sub eating /sky high watching memories this weekend =)

See you guys...in a few minutes!!

Mrs. Cropper said...

Royce,
I just read about your engagement on Amy's blog and couldn't believe when I saw the picture and realized it was you! I know Amy through Wes and Lori. Anyway, congratulations and hi!

Sister Hall/Anne

Brook said...

Good job on the engagement! I had to be really tricky when I proposed for the suprise reaction. Unfortunatly, Brook and I won't be able to go to this mission reunion, but I am going to be attending U of U in the fall, so I will start going to them next year. Anyhoo, Congrats!