Sunday, September 23, 2007

My Most Embarrassing Moment...

So I took a poll recently about what you wanted to hear about next (and although this isn't exactly next to that poll) here is what you asked for: My most embarrassing moment.

This moment in my life is brought to you by the letter "P."










So as some of you may know I was working for The Walt Disney Company this summer. Well one week I was actually doing an audit at Disneyland, and by "at Disneyland" I mean at the Team Disney Anaheim building that is located right behind Disneyland (if you know where "It's a Small World" is it's back behind there a little ways).




Well one day after work I decided I'd go the back way into the park (for free...it was the back way after all) (remind me to tell you about another day that I did this that same week that was also somewhat embarrassing) and meet a friend that was actually in from out of town with her family and ride some rides with them and what not. Well I eventually found my friend and her family. I know her parents pretty well and am friends with her mom (who was there). Well her mom was using one of those scooter wheelchairs that Disneyland has because she had recently been through surgery for her back (or something like that I can't remember). Well my friend's family was about to eat dinner so my friend, her brother, and I decided that we'd take the wheelchair and go get on the new "Finding Nemo" ride (who wants to wait a normal 2 1/2 hours for what use to just be the submarine ride! I mean really!)

So I get to drive the wheelchair (for some reason...I guess because it was my idea) and we get caught up behind Disney parade lines. Well after the parade is over the place is swarming with people and I'm there happily driving along this wheelchair scooter and lo and behold the scooter dies....right in the middle of thousands of people! We try to get the juice going, but no such luck. What am I suppose to do....stand up and walk? "It's a miracle I'm healed!"

So I tell my friend to go tell her mom to get one of those attendants Disney has while I have her brother push this 200 lb. scooter wheelchair with me in it back toward the Pinocchio ride where we left their mother and rest of the family. This scooter was not easy to push either because half way through pushing I decide to be nice and let her brother sit and I'd push. "It's a miracle I was healed!"

Well we eventually get back to their mom and she starts talking to an attendant about the wheelchair and how the wheelchair is dead. Well I am sort of standing away so I don't get in trouble and don't get fired from my corporate job (remember I had got into Disneyland the back way and yet was not a Disneyland cast member so felt kinda fishy being there in the first place) and overhear the cast member tell her mom something to the extent of this...."Sorry about that ma'am, these things sometimes happen because the wheelchair is sensitive to weight, so if a child is driving it then it will stop working, or other things like that could happen...."

So not only was I sneaking into a theme park, illegally taking advantage of the whole disability system, and miraculously healed in front of thousands of people, but I was also compared (Unknowingly to the person who did the comparison) to a child in weight.

Yeah...I was pretty embarrassed.

p.s. We later tried to go on the Nemo ride with the mom in the wheelchair but the wait was still at least 45 minutes and I had to go meet some other people in the park so we took the "alternate Nemo ride...which probably isn't as cool...because you're just watching a TV with what people that are on the ride would see.

Anyway, let me know what you want my next fantastic post to be about. I hope you enjoyed the story and I hope I made it entertaining enough.


8 comments:

Douglas Quist said...

Dude, That is so funny...that usually happens if a child tries to ride it. You being able to walk is a "Disneyland Miracle"..what a blessing.

Dan Steinmetz said...

Wow...
You crack me up! Thanks for a good laugh.

Alisha said...

Okay, that cracked me up. You naughty boy, Royce. ;) And for the record, we go to Disneyland often (home away from home) and I can't STAND the people who are riding in a wheelchair to get to the front of the line and are obviously just fine. But I still love you.

Unknown said...

okay I loved this mostly because we absolutely would have done the same thing if we could...we did wait 2 hrs. and 8 min. for the Finding Nemo ride and it was sooo not worth it! But we loved our visit on our honeymoon when Ry had a broken ankle and I pushed him around Disneyland all day...it was tough, but sooo worth it to cut in line all day! The Autopia cars lady even asked if we wanted to go again...our family rule is that whenever anyone has a wheelchair need, we automatically take a trip to DL...so you can bet we will be encouraging risky behavior in our children :)

ROAST said...

Haha. I wonder how many people fake an injury to ride rides faster? I love Disneyland and the Disney company. It was a fun internship.

I think you should encourage risky behavior in your 20 kids Amy. Does your family often have wheelchair needs though?

Greg said...

royce, that is the best story ever. and best blog ever. and best healing ever. i feel like i've witnessed three miracles rolled into one.

Michelle Loves Danger said...

awesome! we do that alot.

Alisha said...

I really notice those people because my mom is actually in a wheelchair so I hate to see people abusing that privilege. But then, hey, I can't stand long queues, either. God bless FastPass.